jeudi, février 23, 2006

"Most Don't Believe in the Magician"


Rob Brezny says:
Welcome to your crash course at Happiness School, Gemini. To begin your first lesson, say the following aloud: "In the next 20 days, I will rigorously test the hypothesis that it's possible for me to become far more skilled at creating happiness for myself. During that time, I will do everything within my power to make myself feel good." Now take a piece of paper and write a list of ten familiar experiences that you really enjoy and ten untried experiences that would fill you with well-being if you summoned the courage and initiative to actually attempt them. Finally, Gemini, do at least one of those 20 experiences every day for the next 20 days.
Court's been taking a risk a month and it's working for her. I'd like my whole life to be a risk and infinitely increase my reward but baby steps. Or not. I think that constraint, that conservative guideline-baby steps-came to me in a movie, Three Men & A Baby, perhaps? Maybe it's time to throw the baby out with the bathwater. If I despise anything its cliché but thwarting it's a challenge. I'm f@cking swimming in it (obviously) but my butterfly stroke's pretty decent. Actually, it's my only stroke despite a pre-adolescent year of swimming lessons with my Dad and the patient staff at Shoreline pool. That failure never quite hit, buffered by my inherent buoyancy (I can float good). I won't ever drown which would explain why peril, self-imposed or not, so appeals to me. The water rises, tumults, and I float, intermittently tredding water just to mix things up, then crown myself with thorns, lick the beaded blood, humming "All Hail the Power" all the way through. It deceives the wide-eyed self. It deludes. But I'm lucid.