lundi, juin 01, 2009

The Listening: Black Music Month

youngholt

It is out of sleeplessness that I am unmuting this blog. Fortuitous that schemes of coming up on Pro Tools for cheap, scheduling/recording interviews for my forthcoming podcast and securing a freelance gig or two should wake my weekend worn body early on Black Music Month morn.

I will be leaving New York soon for New England and if there has been one grand Gotham achievement it has been consumption. I mean the culture is what brought me here. It certainly wasn't the grind, the brusqueness, the cold.

The only way I know how to catalog my life here is in (relationship to) shows: Wingate Field, SOB's rap reunion concerts, Apollo theatre revelations, Blue Note supergroups.

But I wasn't cool. I had drama at the doors and there have been so many where I comprised a 1/4 or more of the audience. Still I wrote to record not just where I was and what I heard but that I was there.

This month I'll spotlight some of the music that I've walked with. For every day of this transitional month, I'll share a song for download/stream.

"...Black music is Black music and it's all good..." - Common

Libellés :