lundi, novembre 20, 2006

Thankstaking

Copy of I see black people ad
An bus advert from TVOne's* brilliant ad campaign.

I got an e-mail from a friend today concerning the inconvenient truth of Thursday's holiday. I didn't read it. I never thought the the Pilgrims rosy cheeked cherubs, the Native Americans red fleshed savages nor Thanksgiving a celebration of their historic dinner. Thanksgiving is my family's celebration. We come together, we eat good, we cut up, we play cards and play board games, we nap, we eat again, we talk stuff, we thank God and we have a good time. Moreover Thanksgiving is 2 days off. (If that ain't reason for thanks I don't know what is.) My ancestors ain't have nothing to do with the systematic killing of the original American peoples so I have no cause for guilt. That said, here's my menu (subject to change) for Thursday's feast:
Arugula, Radicchio and Endive Salad
Corn and Haricot Verts in Lime Shallot Butter
Baked Mac & Cheese (w/ Cheddar, Gruyère and Mozzarella)
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Herbed Shallot Stuffing (w/ vegetable broth in lieu of chicken broth)
Vegan Roast
Diesel Farm Roast Turkey (prepared by the good people at Whole Foods®)
Wild Mushroom Gravy (prepared by the good people at Whole Foods®)
Almondine Apple Tatin
il laboratorio del gelato Green Apple Sorbet

Paired w/ Kette and Bernkastel Kurfurstlay Rieslings, Côtes-du-Rhône Syrah, and Beajoulais Nouveau
As you can see I outsourced the turkey, vegan roast, gravy and dessert to experts and I'm gonna try and handle the rest.

Edit: Whole Foods fucked up my order. I'll order from LifeThyme next year if I cook. I may just suggest the fam goes out to dinner. Craft maybe? I got up at 6 prepping food and with the oven steady on it was slavery hot in my kitchen. Nobody liked the mashed sweet potatoes but me. As critically acclaimed a bakery as Almondine is, their Tatin left something to be desired. Also il laboratorio's sorbet was good but icy. I fucked up the cornbread. I made it from scratch and it looked beautiful but was dry as dirt.

*BTW: G. Garvin throws down!