vendredi, février 11, 2005

Aoleon's Grammy Picks


I know Com's not nominated but he's hot and that's all that matters.

In case I haven't mouthed off about awards shows, let me quote Amel Larriex (who mysteriously was shut out despite her album blowing many of the nominated albums out the water and I'm not really much of a fan) and say "I do not not subscribe to their philosophies." Good people, we need to stop looking to the insanely rich, powerful and not so arbitrarily connected to determine what's good. And more importantly artists need to stop looking to these self important fools for validation. The Grammys and the Oscars are about art that is popular, hyped or buzzingly edgy in the narrow minds and even narrower tastes of these people. Denzel was better without his. Halle is still unremarkable as an actress (excluding her wallet clunching turn as a crackhead in Jungle Fever). So I'm definitely not tripping too hard of the Grammys so be wary since I like music and listen to it with a discriminating hear many of my picks may not come true, i.e. everyone I picked over Usher in a category he is nominated in in will lose.

I'm gonna dig down deep and offer some of Aoleon's Grammy predictions. Shout to Joe for telling me the name of the Queen of Zamunda despite the fact that I've seen Coming to America 10-20,000 times...And I call myself a feminist.

But before I put on my fortune teller's turban let's talk about some of my concerns:

~Why wasn't Jill Scott's "Golden" nominated for Best R&B song?
It was. No discussion.

~Why are LL, Beastie Boys or Nelly nominated?

-Record of the Year-
American Idiot, Green Day
-Album of the Year-
The College Dropout, Kanye West
-Song of the Year-
"Jesus Walks", Kanye West
-Best New Artist-
Kanye West
-Best Female Pop Vocal Performance-
"What You Waiting For", Gwen Stefani
-Best Male Pop Vocal Performance-
"Daughters", John Mayer
-Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal-
"It's My Life", No Doubt
-Best Dance Recording-
"Toxic", Britney Spears
-Best Female R&B Vocal Performance-
"U-Haul", Angie Stone
-Best Male R&B Vocal Performance-
"Charlene", Anthony Hamilton (If Usher wins for sappy slag "Burn" its gonna be some shit)
-Best R&B Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals-
Diary, Alicia Keys
-Best Traditional R&B Vocal Performance-
"Musicology", Prince
-Best Urban/Alternative Performance-
"Star", The Roots
-Best R&B Song-
"You Don't Know My Name", Alicia Keys
-Best R&B Album-
Beautifully Human: Words and Sounds Vol. II, Jill Scott
-Best Contemporary R&B Album-
Confessions, Usher
-Best Rap Solo Performance-
"99 Problems", Jay-Z
-Best Rap Performance By A Duo Or Group-
"Lean Back", Terror Squad
-Best Rap/Sung Collaboration-
"Why", Jadakiss and Anthony Hamilton
-Best Rap Song-
"Jesus Walks", Kanye West
-Best Rap Album-
The College Dropout, Kanye West
-Best Contemporary Jazz Album-
Strength, Roy Hargrove RH Factor
-Producer Of The Year, Non-Classical-
John Shanks



One of my fav Grammy plunderers ever!