lundi, août 27, 2007

Max Roach

Gary Bartz
Billy Harper, Gary Bartz, and (Reggie Workman obscured by Phil Schaap's head) performing "It's Time."

I was fortunate enough to make it to the Max Roach Memorial Friday morn. I sat in press pews next to older gentleman journalist who pointed out every unfamiliar song and person. Spotted a few greats myself-Sonny, Chico, Pallbearer Fab 5 Freddy, Delroy Lindo, Ruby Dee-and got extra giddy when Cosby walked in. I saw Gary Bartz for the first time to my great delight and Randy Weston too. An impressive man he is. I didn't see Ornette who I heard was there or Abbey who had to cancel her appearance at Charlie Parker Jazz fest this weekend nor did I make it to the memorial's end; it ran a little late and I had to make it into the office. My detailed recap is up at Hello, Babar.

And a few links:
+ Talkin Jazz has a nice post highlighting the blogger's favorite recordings.
+ Variety with one of the more informative obits.